Explore your Master of Social Work classes.
Coursework in Ohio University’s online Master of Social Work can prepare you to better support people in underserved communities, helping them overcome challenges including addiction, poverty, abuse, trauma, and injustice.
The program offers two entry points — the one that’s best for you will depend on your educational background and experience prior to enrollment.
Our online Master of Social Work Foundation Plan is intended for those looking to refocus or pivot their careers. This 17-course, 62-credit track is open to all eligible students with a recent bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and can be completed in as few as 10 semesters (40 months).
Current Bachelor of Social Work holders may be eligible for our online Master of Social Work — Advanced Standing program. This 10-course, 36-credit-hour track can be completed in as few as two years (six semesters). It offers an accelerated pathway where students explore strategies to help people in rural and marginalized communities gain better access to social services.
Foundation Plan Curriculum Highlights
Our program uses a strengths-based problem-solving model that incorporates an awareness of the impact of social work values and ethics. This unique focus and instructional design will help you learn to:
- Facilitate outreach to those facing accessibility needs and other adverse circumstances
- Support individuals, families, and communities in overcoming adversity
- Diagnose, assess, and offer treatment for mental illnesses and addictions
- Understand how populations are affected by social needs and policy
- Prepare to obtain state licensure as a social worker
Upon graduation, you will have the skills to offer support and guidance to help individuals cope with and overcome life’s biggest challenges, particularly for individuals from rural and marginalized communities.
Master of Social Work - Foundation
Advanced Standing Curriculum Highlights
You’ll learn based on real-world scenarios and can expect to apply them both in and outside of the classroom environment, with extensive field experience that enables you to put into practice what you learn in your courses. This unique focus will help you learn to:
- Create innovative solutions for clients with limited resources
- Engage with clients traditionally underserved by social workers
- Build rapport and relate with a diverse client base
- Utilize different methods of practice to effectively communicate with clientele
- Learn how social work functions at multiple levels and roles
Master of Social Work - Advanced Standing
Social workers are needed everywhere — from schools and hospitals to prisons and nonprofits. New programs and job opportunities continue to expand as awareness for mental health grows, especially in rural communities. Choose Ohio University for your online MSW and gain the skills to assist traditionally underserved communities.Pre-Qualify Today!