Help Make a Difference for those in Need
Finding the necessary resources to move ahead in life can be difficult for those in rural or other disadvantaged communities. For this reason, the guidance offered by social workers can often make a huge impact in the quality of life for those left with little hope and with minimal resources or accessibility to services that can improve their overall standing.
With an Online Master of Social Work from the College of Health Sciences and Professions at Ohio University, providing a higher level of support and guidance is what you’ll be trained to do. Our CSWE-accredited program can help specialize your skill set to improve outcomes in the most vulnerable communities.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Social Work?
Social workers are needed everywhere — from schools and hospitals to prisons and nonprofits. New programs and job opportunities continue to expand as awareness for mental health grows, especially in rural communities.
The health care industry also remains in a constant state of transformation. Social issues like poverty and the opioid epidemic impact individuals across demographic groups. It’s why the job outlook for social work is expected to grow by 16% from 2016 to 2026.*
Your expertise is needed now more than ever. Complete the Advanced Track of OHIO’s online MSW, and gain the graduate-level skills to maximize your impact in a wide range of roles.
*Based on data collected by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Adult Mental Health
- Substance abuse counselor
- Marriage and family therapist
- Geriatric social worker
- LGBTQ and gender identity therapist
- Crisis counselor
Child, Family, and School
- Child protective services case worker
- Foster care social worker
- Eating disorder therapist
- Group therapist
- Director of corporate social responsibility
- Nonprofit executive director
- Community outreach specialist
- Human resources specialist
- Grant writer
Program Admission Requirements
You must meet the following requirements to qualify for the online Master of Social Work program — advanced track:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in social work from a CSWE-accredited institution, completed within the last 5 years*
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- B or above in all required social work courses
In addition, you must provide the following:
- Online application
- Application essay
- Professional resume
- Three letters of reference
- Most current field evaluation
- One reference from field instructor
*If the degree was received earlier, student must provide proof of licensure or other advanced credentials relevant to modern principles of social work (NOTE: All students must take SW5101 and SW5702).
Master of Social Work Curriculum
Advanced Standing Program
Ohio University’s online Master of Social Work Advanced Standing program is an accelerated curriculum option available only to highly qualified graduates of baccalaureate social work programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
The application-based coursework focuses on learning and exploring the unique issues of helping those in a rural environment gain access to important social services. You can learn to assist others while overcoming limitations like financial shortfalls and accessibility restrictions.
You’ll learn based on real-world scenarios and can expect to apply them both in and outside of the classroom environment, with extensive field experience that enables you to put into practice what you learn in your courses. This unique focus will help you learn to:
- Create innovative solutions for clients with limited resources
- Engage with clients traditionally underserved by social workers
- Build rapport and relate with a diverse client base
- Utilize different methods of practice to effectively communicate with clientele
- Learn how social work functions at multiple levels and roles