What is the online Master of Science in Nursing?
This 100% online MSN program is designed to meet the needs of practicing RNs like you: hard-working professionals with the drive to advance their expertise. Our robust core curriculum integrates advanced nursing theory with evidence-based nursing practice, allowing you to immediately apply new skills in the field. You can also complete all of the program’s clinical requirements at an approved facility close to where you live or work.
Learn ways to improve health care as you further address the unique challenges of advanced nursing practice in the care of families.
Examine the role of the family nurse practitioner and its impact on the provision of health care.
Why choose the Ohio University’s online MSN?
As a student in the online Family Nurse Practitioner program, you’ll benefit from three on-campus intensives. The first is an orientation, which is held at the beginning of the program; the second is a clinical on-campus intensive associated with advanced physical assessment skills; and the third is a clinical on-campus intensive associated with integrated assessment, clinical management, and certification preparation.
Nurse Educator students will experience two on-campus intensives. An orientation, at the beginning of the program and a clinical on-campus intensive associated with the integration of the Nurse Educator role and certification preparation.
Students in the Adult-Gerontologic Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program experience four on-campus intensives. The on-campus intensives begin with an orientation, then progress to a pre-clinical, mid-clinical and a final clinical experience. The Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) track option prepares students to be eligible for certification as an Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner students benefit from two on-campus intensives that will help you build on your previous advanced practice nursing knowledge. The first on-campus intensive will set you up for success at the beginning of the program. The second is a focus on health appraisal for NPs, and the final culminates in a capstone experience.
Enroll in our online MSN program, where you can build the expertise – and the professional network – essential for lasting success in a high-growth field.
Rankings and Accreditation
Ohio University ranks 1st in Ohio for nationally competitive awards won by its students.
Ohio University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
The MSN program in nursing at Ohio University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Industry Growth and Career Opportunities
Employment for nurse practitioners is expected to grow 31 percent from 2012 to 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Growth is expected because of an increase in demand for health care services. Several factors, including health care legislation, a larger population of insured patients, an increased emphasis on preventive care, and the large, aging baby boomer population will contribute to this demand.
Health care practitioners’ employment by educational requirement
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Concentration Courses
The Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner concentration prepares students to serve and address the unique challenges of patient care for the adult population.
The AGACNP specialty will give you the opportunity to:
- Understand how to provide patient care for the adult population
- Study family assessment, intervention and the management of common adult health problems
- Develop advanced clinical diagnostic and decision-making skills to improve the quality of health care for adults and those in under-served populations
- Further examine the role of acute-care nurse practitioners and their impact on progressing health services.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner concentration aims to provide RNs with the knowledge and skills for providing care to those who are struggling with mental illnesses and addictions.
The PMHNP specialty will give you the opportunity to:
- Gain specialized knowledge and skill for providing care to those who are struggling with mental illnesses and addictions
- Understand how to provide mental health patient care for individuals, groups, and families
- Develop skills for mental health assessment, psychotherapeutic treatment, and psychopharmacology
- Prepare to work with vulnerable populations and promote mental health throughout the different stages of life
Nurse Educator Concentration Courses
The Nurse Educator concentration focuses on evidence-based instructional strategies and teaching techniques, as well as role development of the nurse educator.
The NE specialty will give you the opportunity to:
- Acquire advanced knowledge of nursing theory and practice
- Understand the design, delivery, assessment and evaluation of nurse education programs in a variety of settings
- Focus on evidence-based methods to solve real healthcare challenges through nursing education
- Position yourself to sit for the NLN CNE exam upon graduation
Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration Courses
The Family Nurse Practitioner specialty aims to prepare RNs to serve diverse communities with unique needs. It particularly addresses the challenges of patient care for the family unit.
The FNP specialty will give you the opportunity to:
- Study family assessment, intervention, and education
- Focus on nursing care for children and adults across their lifespan
- Position yourself to improve the quality of health care in underserved communities and for patients with health disparities
- Further examine the role of the family nurse practitioner and its impact on increasingly complex public health services
The Ohio University online master’s in nursing program features a robust core curriculum that integrates advanced nursing theory and evidence-based nursing practice through case-driven studies. Coursework is completed 100% online, plus clinical requirements.