A Closer Look at Engineering Professions
Engineering applies a variety of factors to a situation in order to find a solution to an existing or potential problem. The ability to interpret mathematical equations and understand scientific concepts are just some of the skills that engineers use to develop a concept or product. There are engineers in practically every field, from biomedical and chemical to mechanical nuclear. Engineers use problem solving skills combined with practical application in order to come up with inventions that present resolutions to everyday quandaries.
If you’re looking for a way to show your versatility as an engineering manager in any of these disciplines, the Ohio University online Master of Engineering Management is a great complement to your technical background to set you apart from your peers. This degree program gives you the tools to develop your managerial background while you use your engineering experience. Additionally, with an online degree program, you’re able to immediately integrate the competencies you’re gaining from class into your workplace.
For more information on this renowned program, please fill out the form on the right to learn more. Also, please see below for a closer look at the different engineering professionals in the field:
Engineers in the field of aerospace develop aircraft made to travel both within and outside of the atmosphere of the Earth. This includes coming up with designs, constructing the aircraft and testing the functionality of it. An aerospace engineer deals with sound control, flight-testing and software development. Other areas he may delve into include electronic functioning, dynamics simulations and risk assessments. An aerospace engineer is knowledgeable in many realms of education.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. Up to date information on new and expanding technology as well as professional development resources.
- Aerospace Corporation A federally funded research center dedicated to the success of the U.S. Governments’ space program.
- The Aerospace and Electronics Systems Society An organization that provides workshops, educational tools and a magazine subscription to its members.
Agriculture is a complex system of plants, animals, chemical and mechanicals. Agricultural engineers look at the entire situation and provide a solution to a dilemma. This can include implementing a system for efficient crop production. There are opportunities for agricultural engineers to work in management, sales or production. They may also be more involved in the research end of projects. This occupation demands attention to detail and a broad array of knowledge.
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers The ASABE focuses on the advancement of engineering within the agricultural system.
- International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering The mission of CIGR is to assist in the development of the Agricultural Engineering field.
Engineering is executed in the field of medicine to solve problems. Design techniques are implemented to bring about new and life-saving machinery. Diagnostic equipment is also studied and improved upon. Engineering in this filed even extends to the development of artificial DNA. A person working within this sector of the field may face philosophical controversy from others and they must be prepared for this aspect.
- Biomedical Engineering Society Provides published journals, information and a meeting arena for industry professionals.
- The American Society for Healthcare Engineering of the American Hospital Association The physical environment of the healthcare field is the focus of the ASHE.
- Rehabilitative Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America Focusing on the improvement in the engineering of assistive and rehabilitative technology.
Chemical engineers develop products used in many industries. A product, or combination of products, is transformed until it meets the specifications. Adhesives, fuel made from vegetation and synthetic textiles are all the result of chemical engineering. Products are also designed to assist with manufacturing dilemmas. This profession requires a person to have excellent mathematical skills.
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers Information and support for chemical engineers.
- Institution of Chemical Engineers Industry reports, upcoming events and media involving chemical engineering.
- American Chemical Society Provides a networking opportunity as well as an informative venue.
The responsibilities of a civil engineer are tremendous. These responsibilities can include making sure a structure will be sound, assessing water pathways and laying out roadways. In any of these circumstances, there is much to think about. Every detail must be looked over to make sure the finished project is safe. Civil engineers may work for private corporations or in public positions, such as that of a city planner.
- American Society of Civil Engineers Advocacy for civil engineers along with career resources.
- Institute of Transportation Engineers Members have access to new developments within the field and the opportunity to participate in awareness programs.
Computer Hardware Engineers
This combined knowledge of electronics and design is what creates the instruments used to control today’s computers. As the industry advance, you can count on technology to continue in growth. Computer hardware engineers work in robotics, artificial intelligence and digital electronics. They may also pursue careers in circuit analysis or programming.
- Association for Computing Machinery Advancements in the computing industry are studied, documented and discussed.
- Computing Research Association The advancement of education within the area of computers is the main focus of the CRA.
- Computer Science and Engineering Society An interactive society that promotes growth through sharing.
Lighting and supplies of power are just some of the areas that involve an electrical engineer. Engineers in this field also work with wiring, power control and even automobiles. The spotlight rests on the power supply itself though usually in relation to power grids or other large-scale electrical supplies.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- International Association of Engineers The IAENG provides publications dealing with upcoming technology. There are conferences and workshops available through the IAENG as well.
- Association of Energy Engineers Members receive a variety of benefits from journals on electrical engineering to the chance at receiving scholarship awards.
Somewhat different form electrical engineers, electronics engineers focus on smaller scale items. They design and develop everything from digital phones to global positioning systems and other handheld or portable electronics. Engineers also work with televisions, microprocessors and occasionally, computers. Processing signals and working with control systems are two typical occurrences within the field. Circuit testing is regularly performed as well.
- Electronic Components Association Up to the minute information on market research, products trends and more.
- Electronic Industries Alliance The EIA is a wealth of information to engineers practicing in the electronics field.
- American Engineering Association Structure of the AEA enhances the availability of work within the United States.
Environmental engineers strive to make improvements to the environment by using scientific processes to improve upon the state of natural sources. Engineering combined with science provides a medium through which natural elements are transformed into cleaner air, healthier water and less pollution. These principles are carried out in various forms with the focus remaining on overall betterment. Environmental engineers work in the areas of water treatment, land/pollution mitigation and the management of air quality.
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors The quest of the AEESP is to educate on the subject of environmental impact via science.
- Environmental & Engineering Geophysical Society This non-profit hold an annual meeting and produces a scientific journal, as well as a quarterly newsletter.
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers The AAEE strives to allow applied science and nature to comingle without negative effects.
Health and Safety Engineers
Health and safety engineers organize various aspects of safety polices. This is done in an industrial setting, in most cases. At times, they may work with other agencies to implement these strategies. They must identify a potential problem and then analyze the various outcomes. Once this is completed, they have to find a way to circumvent the issue from arising. Finally, the plan must be tested and implemented.
- The American Society of Safety Engineers
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists The ACGIH produces numerous publications featuring updated technical and scientific information.
An industrial engineer is responsible for making sure that things are running as smoothly as possible. They go over production schedules, assess output levels and strategize a means to makes improvements. They watch operations with a close eye and then convey their findings to decision makers within a company. This job requires focus and the ability to look at an overall picture. Industrial engineers are also referred to as manufacturing specialists, engineering managers and production engineers.
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society The HFES concentrates on using technical engineering to advance ergonomic availability.
- The International Society of Logistics With more than 90 chapters worldwide, SOLE continues with its quest to enhance logistics through various means.
- The Global Association of Productivity & Efficiency Professionals Industrial safety and increased output is promoted through education and training.
The job of a marine engineer involves planning, preparation and follow through. One day they may be testing equipment, while another they are drawing a spec sheet. Knowledge of mathematics, design and computing is essential. Time management and critical thinking are very important skills to possess in this position.
- The Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers Focused on the advancement of naval architecture while providing a resource of information and education.
- Marine Engineers’ Beneficial Association Keeping members appraised of happenings within the field since 1875.
- Aviation & Marine Engineers Association A unionized associated dedicated to marine and power engineers.
Materials engineers have many titles. They are also called test engineers, process engineers, research engineers and materials branch chiefs. Job responsibility includes brainstorming ideas for materials uses and then implementing those ideas. Strategic development is one of the first steps, followed by testing.
- The Materials Information Society Continuously updated information for materials specialists practicing in the field.
- Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering With four locations in Italy, Utah, France and California, the SAMPE provides information as well as a forum for the exchange of ideas.
- The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society A society that encourages member participation among materials engineers.
Responsible for designing and testing mechanical equipment, these engineers have a detail-oriented job. The ability to read blueprints, fix malfunctions within equipment and coordinate production methods are some of the various tasks that are typical of this occupation. Mechanical engineers work with machinery such as laser Doppler anemometers, cold forming presses and wafer dicing saws. An inclination toward science is a desired trait. Teamwork is also important for someone holding this type of position.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers The ASME is an important part of the mechanical engineering world. They provide a basis upon which standards in the trade are developed.
- International Association of Mechanical Engineers Members have access to workshops, journals, conferences and seminars.
This job carries with it the weight of handling nuclear elements in order to utilize energy. Element developing is one of the key facets in this position. Researching, preparing and testing are some of the main tasks of a nuclear engineer. Other titles within this field include resident inspector, critical safety engineer and generation engineer. This position typically requires a bachelor’s degree.
- American Nuclear Society The society was created so that scientists and engineers within the nuclear field would have a platform in which to discuss pertinent information regarding new developments.
- European Nuclear Education Network The ENEN fosters the expanse within the nuclear industry.
These are the persons behind the scenes in the oil drilling process. They take data in its raw form and analyze things such as cost, production output and equipment operation. This information is then applied to oil drilling, spill recovery and equipment modification processes. Knowledge of chemistry, physics and economics are equally important. Petroleum engineers must also possess complex problem solving abilities.